It’s been a while since I’ve updated my blog. I decided I wanted to refresh the blog’s theme, and in the process decided I was going to move over to a different platform as well. I used a tool that migrated content from Jekyll to Hugo, which mostly worked for my Octopress content but had a few issues with the different markdown format. Once I cleaned the dates up, everything worked fine.
Choosing a Blogging Platform
There are many options to choose from. I’ve used Wordpress and there are a lot of options and capabilities but I didn’t want to invest the operational effort of securing and maintaining the underlying database or additional plugins. There are hosted Wordpress sites that handle a lot of the operational costs, but figuring out all the options can be frustrating when you really just want to focus on content.
I chose to use a static site generator because the operational load is reduced. It integrates well with version control, so I can write in markdown and have the site regenerated quickly.
Setting up the Local
Development Writing Environment
Rather than installing hugo on my local desktop, I use docker so that I can quickly upgrade and use the latest version of hugo.
FROM alpine:latest RUN apk --no-cache add ca-certificates curl bash vim git tree RUN curl -L https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/releases/download/v0.55.6/hugo_0.55.6_Linux-64bit.tar.gz | tar -zOxf - hugo > /usr/bin/hugo && chmod +x /usr/bin/hugo ENTRYPOINT ["/bin/bash"]
From my laptop, I can then run docker, publish the port
1313 and start up hugo. From a browser on my laptop I can then view my blog at
$ docker run --rm -v `pwd`:/pwd/ -p 1313:1313/tcp -it sigje/hugo # hugo server -D --bind='0.0.0.0'
I’ll keep this project updated with my current hugo Dockerfile.
I’ll share more about my Hugo process in the next few posts.